Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Wednesdays

Today I played with my children. We had a picnic, I cleaned my bathroom, did about five loads of laundry (and still going) and I finished Ivy's baby book. Yes, that was Ivy, the 6-year-old. Last Wednesday I worked, and the Wednesday before that and four years of Wednesdays. This Wednesday marks the first dedicated to being home with my family. I feel like I am in some sort of state of bliss.

After I had Charlotte a year and a half ago, I came back to work only two days a week, a welcome relief from the previous four-day work week. I have to say, as much as I am thankful for my job (really words cannot describe how thankful I am) the pull to be home even more for my kids and my husband has grown stronger and stronger.

Just a few short weeks ago, I was on my knees praying for a solution to childcare on Wednesdays for the summer. My husband has had a job change, no longer able to watch them that day. Our tight financial situation required that I continue to work my current schedule, if not more. Its funny how a silly little day of the week could cause so much stress. I had worked myself into a near panic with no possible solutions. My mind was worn from traveling 1000 miles an hour, from one idea to the next. I do that so well, and yet it gets me on a fast track to nowhere...every time. No ideas, no solutions.

So, today as I sit and write my little blog post, when I could be at work, I'm overwhelmed with gratitude. There was nothing I could have done in my own power to come up with the solution that God provided to us, just a few days after my knees were worn from prayer. No need to hire a babysitter or daycare, no need for Rich to work extra, or me to work extra. The solution was simply that I could stay home, on Wednesdays. God took care of the money.

When we were having our picnic on the lawn, we watched the local robins, that the girls have named, hang out and do their thing. I was reminded how much God cares for those neighborhood robins. They don't need to try and figure out their situation.

Jesus says in Matthew,
"Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will
eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you, by being anxious, can add a single hour to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these....

But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things
will be added to you."
Matthew 6:25-29, 33

I don't know why I always fret and worry. I need more robins in my life to remind me of who is in control, really. In the meantime, my Wednesdays are going to be filled with lots of laundry and picnics. Thank you, God for Wednesdays and the reminder to seek you first, always.

No comments:

Post a Comment