Thursday, August 5, 2010

Family Road Trip: Day 1


'The Makings of Our Recipe'


We’re on the road. Borrowed motorhome, 3 children, 1 pug, and all the contents of our home (except the sink) signals the beginning of a much needed and memorable trip! My emotions are a jumbled mix of remembering all my childhood road trips, contemplating the burdens of today and excitement for the hope that our family can escape into a mini-world of non-reality and non-commitment.




When I was a kid, we had a little tiny yellow pull-behind camper. It was painted to match our yellow, wood-paneled station wagon. Our ghetto paint-chipped canoe slapped on the roof of the car was like the cherry on top. Oh, those were the days! You couldn’t have asked for a more perfect memory recipe.


These memories I'm cherishing again as we ourselves are about to whip up our own little adventure concoction. I think that Homer will be our first stop. The inlet is crystal clear, the sky is beautiful blue, painted with billowy clouds. The sweet, piercing sounds of ‘Baliko’ are streaming through the speakers while we chew on our Costco pizza and sip on our Kaladi coffees. The baby is sleeping and the girls are pretending to nap in the bunk above our heads. I’m a bit surprised to find that I can type while we drive in this thing, and it doesn’t make me carsick.




Making our own recipes for memories, for

life really, that’s what this is about I think. And of course resting, and re-connecting as a family. I so desperately don't want to take the backseat in life. God forbid that I let life just happen to me, because I don’t have the energy or motivation to take the reins. Thankfully, God sends me wake-up calls now and then that send a chill down my spine. The thought of the days and weeks and years that could pass without intention or purpose, just living in that state, it’s frightening.


So, with the chills comes resolve. I will not allow life to just happen to me, to our children, without our active intent and involve-ment. I cannot be busy with my own good activities or ministries or passions, or even depression, and leave them to fend for themselves. If it takes getting down on the floor to play a game, going on a little girl date, cuddling when I don’t feel like it or...going on a road trip...


This trip...it will be good, regardless of what happens. It forces normal life to an abrupt halt so we can escape together on an adventure. I know that in our little adventure, our own recipes will evolve. Recipes for life.


And I forgot how beautiful Homer is!



My daughter Sophia, age 8, decided to write a little something too...Enjoy!


homer to seward

chapter 1 the ride.Let me tell you that was the most fun camping ride i ever had! First i got a cinnamon roll it was soooo good! Then we headed to homer. Then me and Ivy started to color then i asked my dad are we almost there? He said 1050 MILES!!!! I was exaggerating when i said 1050 it was actually 150. Then me and ivy played for a while. Then i took a nap. Then me and Ivy partyed on mom and dads bed. I frgot to tell you it was in an rv.




...Stay tuned for Day 2.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE that Sophia thinks this was "the most fun camping ride ever"!!!!

    ReplyDelete