Friday, March 12, 2010

Boeuf Bourguignon

As I sit down to write my first blog with my twice-warmed cup of market spice tea, I am recalling the first time I watched Julie & Julia. I cried. Not because of the delicious recipes or stunning performance by Meryl Streep. It was that the character wrote, and people read what she wrote. It hit me like a wave of longing, catching me quite off-guard.

To write - I imagine one of my daughter, Sophia's, rocks or shells wrapped up special and stowed away in one of her little treasure boxes. There is a time and a place for treasures. For me, writing has been wrapped up and stowed away in my little box like a dream for another day. The ache comes and goes just to take it out, look at it and toss it around or even to display it on my shelf.

And Facebook comes along. It's the 'tease', the appetizer. Little tidbits of writing here and there, but mostly just leading me on.

Several days ago, as I am contemplating and processing our current difficult and 'poor' phase of life, it all started to come together in my head in formed thoughts and sentences and paragraphs. And out it comes, in written form (thanks to facebook!) No rocket science, literature or beautiful poetry. Just real life. Just me. So here I am, blogging...certain that what I have to say isn't anything you haven't heard before. I am not the authority on matters related to really anything at all, and what I think about things has been thought of before. But this is what I have to offer. This is my skating performance, my concert, my 'Starry Night', my 'boeuf bourguignon'! I'm telling you, the little wrapped up treasure jumped out of its box and hit me on the head. And it begins.

I hope that opening up this window into my life's struggles and joys will inspire you to remember your wrapped, boxed up, hidden away treasures. If this isn't the time and the place to display them on the shelf, just don't forget them there! Dust your dream off, look at it fondly and put it away for another day if you must. But don't forget it. Because let me tell you, they are needed! When I look at Rhae Etheredge's photos, or hear Aaron Gray's music, or see Charity Carmody take over the business world (as a stepping stool to taking over the whole world), or watch Deanna Ingalls be the best mom & teacher to her kids she can be, or enjoy the Olympics...in essence, seeing people doing what they were made to do? It's inspiring. It pushes me to write, to create my own boeuf bourguignon!

9 comments:

  1. Inspiring, to say the least. Thank you, Rachel. More please!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I 'hear' your sentiment. I, too, am inspired by seeing, hearing, watching, listening to others passions express themselves. But, I have no creative talent (?), and consider myself an expert observer! So...you produce and I'll enjoy!! Writers, especially, seem to need prodding to give themselves permission to write. I'm glad the 'muse' was too invasive to ignore, and hope it stays! I will be reading...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im SOOO glad you took your "shell" out of hiding!!! I have always enjoyed reading your words, letters, newsletters, facebook entries... You hzve a true gift my friend!! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks Rachel... my sister sent me your blog to encourage me to do mine... I just started one... actually, like you, I started it the night I saw the movie.. Julie and Julie... too funny.. how many blogs have been started cause of that movie? Anyway... great idea.. I think the world needs all of us... writers,musicians,inventors... etc.. It must be blogging season.. :) great blog.. Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, Baby the cat's out of the bag. Now everyone's gonna know how amazing you are. I am still amazed at your depth. I am a proud husband, I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the encouragement everyone...it is greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that's my girl!! you always were a great writer! you'd have made your daddy proud!!! i know you make me a happy mama all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mom, thank you. I so value your input. :) Writing somehow makes me miss him more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I truely commend you for putting yourself, life and love for Jesus out there. So many people have dreams, but fear the unknown. The unknow being rejection, being laughed at or the idea of failure. We all have something precious to give the world and the words you wrote just may help some face there fears and allow their gifts to florish. Your words have already helped me to trust myself and God.
    You are heard and your words are a gift. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete