Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Gong Clangers

LOVE, Part I

"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have the faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing." I Corinthians 13:1-3

In my life I am surrounded by wonderful, loving people. I think more than average perhaps. Despite being so blessed, even in the very best of life scenarios, there can get to be quite a bit of resounding gong and cymbal clanging. What's worse is this thunderous noise being escalated by the sound of my own gong, clanging in my head. It's not lovely.

I Corinthians 13 has long been quoted as being one of the most famous and beloved passages of the Bible. It gives the impression of being a 'feel good' passage. What's interesting to note is that Paul, who wrote this letter to the church in Corinth, was writing it as a correction to a church who was NOT loving in its ways, and needed to be reminded that everything we do is pointless unless we do it out of Love. It's easy to read the words, memorize them and and hear them repeatedly, but if we allow the truth of them to penetrate, it feels like a knife, searing deep. Even reading it again now, I am completely struck by the simple, yet fierce implications.

We know we should love. We can process what it will take to love. And some of us have even felt, at times, the divine, pure Love. It covers us in warmth, in beauty, in forgiveness. We strive to make so many efforts to do so many good things...but does it come from Love?

In feeding, clothing and giving shelter to the homeless...

In trying to provide the best life for our children that we can...

Using our many talents and gifts to bring about good...

Speaking eloquently of His love...

Even giving our very lives for a greater cause...

Without Love? These things are nothing at all. A waste even!

We are so many things...employees, employers, parents, ministers, chairmen, volunteers, givers, artists, business people, manual laborers. Wherever we find ourselves, the question forces us to find the answer. What is our driving force, our core, our One and Only? To love ~ is it down deep to the very foundation of who we are and does it seep out in each thing, each act that we do?

My gong, the jarring, unappealing noisemaker that it is, it resounds at times. And it's not alone! We can accept this as just being part of life. But I feel pushed to dig down deep, find the root of the noise and quiet it down. Can it be replaced with Love, so divine? I know it can if we allow it.

C.S. Lewis speaks of love well,

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained."

"Love is something more stern and splendid than mere kindness."

"God loves us; not because we are loveable but because He IS Love, not because He needs to receive but because he delights to give."


(Parts II and III coming soon...)

2 comments:

  1. again....Rachel..you write the words of many a hearts....thank you

    ReplyDelete