Saturday, April 17, 2010

I'm Burning Up From My Cabin Fever!

Anchorage Forecast, Saturday, April 17, 2010:
A bit of snow and rain at times in the morning followed by a passing shower in the afternoon.

Okay, I can't lie. This gets a little bit old by April. I have just almost made it through my 33rd winter in Alaska and you would think it gets easier over time. But ya know, I don't think it's easier. My kids are starting to go just a touch crazy and I am about to join them! More than anything, though, its the gray-ness and dirtiness and chill in the air that gets to me. Those of us who are greatly impacted by our environment can relate...

I admit, I hear the birds chirp some mornings and the sun shines now and again, so there is hope, we know this. But these flirtations of summer add to the suspense, the teetering brink, the fine line of.....can we make it through one more winter???

This is the time of year when our creative juices have to kick in at full speed to try to get that cabin fever down! We have to create our defense mechanisms. Some are fortunate and get to escape, for awhile, in an airplane, to somewhere warmer and sunnier. Those stuck here must fend for themselves, tinkering with motorcycles, letting the kids slosh around in the snowy sloppy mess, planting seeds indoors, putting daffodils on the dining room table, buying iced coffee drinks...we gotta fan that flame of hope that yes, summer will eventually come!

I have a few defense mechanisms listed below. What are your survival tips? Feel free to post your ideas for getting through this last stretch of winter. Lord knows we need to make it, and not just make it, but ENJOY these weeks ahead! Yes, its possible! And while you're busy trying to get by, you'll wake up one day and there will be leaves on the trees and the sun will be warm. And you will forget that just weeks before you were just trying to get by.

- Buy fresh cut flowers for the house

- Spring-themed Gel Gems (window clings) - available at Titlewave Books

- Spring crafts for kiddo's - Google spring crafts for kids and tons will pop up.

- Picnic meals on the floor - not as fun when not under age 10, but fun nonetheless

- Spring cleaning - what better time to clean stuff?

- An iced americano with cream and vanilla syrup from Kaladi's - it's these little things...

- Arctic Playgroundz, Anchorage Museum, Titlewave Books, Loussac library, Dimond Center, and Bouncin' Bears are some of our favorite outings....

- Detail the car - everything is gray and dirty outside...I'm always inspired to have the interior of my car detailed to compensate for it. It DOES make a difference.

We're tough Alaskans. We're strong, independent, we're survivors! We'll make it, as we always do. But life, it can be a little brighter and a little cleaner and a little less gray with some creative ingenuity!

4 comments:

  1. Great blog Rachel! Glad to know someone from home who's blogging! :) Looking forward to visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thanks Kim! I was laughing out loud hysterically reading about your son and coffee...that is good stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE LOVE LOVE the blog, it is so inspiringand nice to hear what is going on in your life, i miss our afternoons together, you had color on your hair, i had on it my shirt, we'd get Chinese because it smelled sooo good. miss you and your family, maybe i'll see you this summer i'll be roaming Alaska for 3 months!
    it seemed to be my routine every year in the spring i would take a crazy class, one year i did belly dancing, another i did pottery, last year i trained for a 1/2 marathon, anything to get my creative juices flowing, or just get the crazy out of my head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liz!!! Thanks for visiting :) miss you too girlie...would love a coffee date if you come my way! Crazy red hair days are missed but gone... I am visiting the world of normal. Way to be creative with your springtimes...we have to do something to get by up here eh? 1/2 marathon...nice!

    ReplyDelete